Saturday, May 12, 2012

DUST AND DREGS

DUST AND DREGS

If you’re ready to heave and to hustle about,
Set to leave town on a moment’s shout,
Then I want to speak to you,
Leave credentials at the tone,
But if you’re a slacker and not a go getter
Then leave me the crap alone.

If you’re a loser and a whiner,
Lose and whine on your own sweet time,
Kvetch and cavort and go do what you must,
Let the chips fall where they may,
Drink my dregs and eat my dust.
And kindly get out of my way.

For I am a man in a monstrous hurry,
Tote that barge and lift that bale,
And make that bread without a worry,
If it’s safe or if it’s stale.

If we have to cut corners, by God we’ll do it,
All for the good of the bottom line,
Churn the convoluted butter,
Work on unpaid overtime.

Always forever the company man,
Never the man who bows low and begs.
Like a well bred horse on sturdy legs,
You amble toward the finish with style and grace,
Come home a winner or not at all,
Do not show us your loser’s face.

And if by chance your stats are grim,
There’s always our team with the art of the spin,
Who can turn your loss into a win,
Crunching their numbers in a blinding fashion,
Men who are soulless yet purple with passion.

At all times confident you must stand,
Even as the losses grow,
Hide your tears and play your hand,
The opponent he must never know,
Just how close you are to the end of the rope,
And the total abandonment of hope.

If you’re set to give up life and dreams,
Come join my brilliant Ponzi scheme.
Open the wineskins and pour the wine in kegs.
I am the winner and the one to follow,
Though my heart’s a tad bit hollow,
I am the man to blindly trust,
The horse who runs on mighty legs.
Come to me my fortunate son,
Eat my dust and drink my dregs.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2012
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...