Saturday, March 24, 2012

IMPONDERABLE

IMPONDERABLE

Sometimes life is imponderable,
Skirting the edges of righteous rage.
Sometimes we wait in the afternoon shadows,
Pens without ink on a blank, empty page.

Sometimes our lives are slippery slopes,
Built on false, inflated hopes.
We ski before we take the course,
We take a tumble from the horse.

We rise to ride the rodeo,
Unprepared for the errant bow,
That flies from the quiver of reckless men,
We rise up just to fall again.

We do our best to pay our debts,
The doctors eat our souls alive,
We play the game and hedge our bets,
While their bill collectors thrive.

Imponderable is the oath they take,
First do no harm, the hypocrites.
Then bleed their sucker patients dry,
The cost is less if you quickly die.
But then they throw a holy fit,
Who‘s going to pay for all of this?

Sometimes life is imponderable,
With water rising every day.
And sometimes in our haste to try.
To rise above and touch the sky,
We drown alone in the rushing bay.
Covered with the stench of existent debris,
Flowing from the rebel factories.
And washing up on the distant shore,
Or killing fish on the ocean floor.

Sometimes life is imponderable,
No one cracks its ancient code,
There’s no safe harbor from the storm,
No harmless, warm abode.

Sometimes life is a renegade biker,
Shooting through the stop signs.
While those content to play by the rules,
Get lost or left behind.

Sometimes life is a prep school prick.
Posting Internet close ups of his dick.
A wild, malevolent Halloween trick.
A bully with a big iron fist,
A candle burning to the wick.

Sometimes life is imponderable.
The weight of the years unimaginable.
We are left feeling worried, lonesome, and scared,
Our tempers lost, our nostrils flared,
Flirting with the notion of righteous rage.
Pens without ink on a blank and empty page.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2012
All RIGHTS RESERVED

3 comments:

  1. Don't get me wrong. I owe my life to doctors, but there is something seriously wrong with healthcare in this country and it needs to be addressed. Insurance companies I believe are a large part of the problem. But something is wrong when three-quarters of a social security disability check goes to an insurance premium that pays absolutely nothing towards my care until i reach a $3500 deductible! I seriously could not afford to live without the generosity of my partner and my brother, but there are far more less lucky than me even! This poem is for them as well as for me! My biggest gripe is the billing folks who feel that they know how much I can afford to pay each month for a surgery. News to them, but I can barely afford the small amount I currently pay them@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bruce. I wish I could whisk you up here to our system. It is truly unfair to face such worry when you are so ill. We have had to absorb some of the costs of Michael's care but all his medical costs are mercifully covered, even most of his at-home care. I am truly grateful that I don't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Claire. I'm about ready to be whisked!

    ReplyDelete

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...