Saturday, January 7, 2012

UPON THE HILLSIDE

UPON THE HILLSIDE

Upon the hillside where our love began,
The rainbow danced and its colors ran,

In watercolor wonder of gumdrops and spice.
Looking back through wiser eyes, all too late I realize,
Strange that I could fool you once
but could never fool you twice.
My world it ends in a careless fire.
Your touch as cold as the winter ice.

At the exact space and time as prophesied,
Our love in all of its splendor died,
And the gypsy laughed by the side of the road,
Shrugging off his heavy load,
Pondering the softness of the snow white dove,
And the awful fickleness of love.

We tumbled to the shaken ground,
With hardly a sacrificial sound.
It was a wild and a wanton willful ride,
Tossed and torn on the raging tide.
But my heart it yearned for something new,
And from your side for a moment flew.

My betrayal it exploded, like a land mine in my face
And our love affair imploded, leaving not a trace.
Crashing deep into the ocean, turning ever blue,
The legend once so beautiful, the tragic tale of me and you.

It was upon this hillside where the children played,
In the township where the villagers prayed,
Where the rabbits romped and the squirrels
Hid three squares a day in their cheeks for the winter.
That our love tore apart and quickly splintered.
Like some overwhelmed kite in the fierce winter breeze.
As frost engulfed the hill and caused the lake to freeze.

And the burn of the beard on your handsome face
Nearly broke my heart completely,
As you turned your gaze away from me,
Leaving me shattered, broken open,
Across the deep and great divide,
You left me standing where our love began,
In tears upon the hillside.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Note: Not a poem about my relationship, but a break-up poem that I thought turned out quite lovely. Hope you will like it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bruce. hoping my new computer will let me post a comment. Great poem. Anxious to read the ones I missed.

    ReplyDelete

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...