Saturday, December 10, 2011

ROBBING PETER

ROBBING PETER

As I heave and sigh, closer to the final inning,
No longer sure of borrowed time, nor sure of new beginnings,
May I just say now that I’m sick of it all,
Sick of robbing Peter just to pay Paul.

Tired of killing Father Time
And stalking Mr. Death.
Tired of promises that do not rhyme,
That leave me lost, bereft of breath.

Tired of books that help me cope
With this dashing designer disease.

Tired of bromides and false hope,
This mountain won’t be climbed with ease.

Tired of pep talks from Michael J. Fox,
Tired of dreaming of a cure,

I want to mount my soapbox now,
To slaughter every sacred cow.
To set the record straight and pure.

I want to give birth to a litter of the bitters.
To shake my fist at progress,
To rant and rave at DBS.

Sick to death of being patient.
And though it isn’t anyone’s fault,
I am sick to death of impotence
And sick to death of Zoloft.

Sick of the pain and destruction.
Left by Mr. Parkinson.
Ready to give up hope-ah,
To throw away my levodopa.
And let us not forget, its kissing cousin Sinemet.

And tear out the freakin’ battery in my chest,
Damn the electrodes, full steam ahead,
Show me to my dainty sick bed.

Bring me lots of chocolate, it’s the only solution.
Kill me some lamb and bring me some mutton,
I will eat and drink and die a merry glutton.

As I gasp and breathe my last,
There’s one thing you should know,
These were just some random ramblings
From my one man Parkinsonian show.
A bored bombastic body and a withered tired old soul.

And did I happen to mention that I’m tired of it all,
Sick of Robbing Peter just to pay Paul?
Sick to death of losing balance,
Sick of the inevitable fall.

And now that I have had my say, I shall mosey on my merry way,
Shuffling like an idiot who’s stubborn as an ox,
With all due apologies to Michael J. Fox.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Note: I meant this poem to be taken seriously, but also a bit tongue in cheek. I hope I don't have to explain the debt of gratitude we all owe the wonderful Michael J. Fox. He is most definitely a hero of mine, and I do not at all intend my mention of him in this piece to be in the least bit disparaging or disrespectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...