Saturday, October 15, 2011

TOAST THE AUTUMN

TOAST THE AUTUMN

These mornings I awake, barefoot in my sweats,
And feel the cool sensation as it moves across the room,

Mother Nature’s plan right on time and set,
As she sits majestically, a lady at her loom.

I rise and toast the autumn, this change of seasons grand,
And hold each crunchy, precious leaf in the palm of my shaking hand.

I think upon the winter, in all its snowy fury,
The Christmas shoppers in the malls, frazzled in a hurry,
And I think on how we loved the summer in all its heat and haze,
And how the springtime thrilled us with its rosebuds on parade.

I long to walk with carefree bliss, on the sidewalks of this town,
Long before the sun comes up and throws its weight around.
And feel the cool pavement as it tickles my eager feet,
As the day creeps in like a blessing, slow and ever sweet.

I long to breathe in crispness, the coolness of the shade,
When these nights were made for sleeping and waking unafraid.

I long to visit memories that echo in our past,
The foreign soil we’ve walked upon, our cares and worries cast.

That springtime trip to Paris, the recollection grand,
Of dreams that met their triumph in a lover’s late night plans.

Then I dream of the beach and those summer days,
Where we wore next to nothing and walked in the haze.
A thousand sand castles crafted with care,
Thrilling with the awe and the wonderment there.

And now we are back to autumn once more,
Jack Frost in his vestibule outside the door.

We rise and toast the colors, the changing of the leaves,
The grand old ceremonial of bringing in the sheaves.
We rise and toast this precious fall, this change of seasons grand,
And hold each crunchy precious leaf in the palms of grateful hands.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

5 comments:

  1. This is my favorite Poem. I love the reference of all the seasons. I can picture it in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the personification and alliteration of "a lady at her loom". I can smell and feel the crispness of my favorite season. Living in the deep south, I miss the beautiful fall; your poem brings it all back to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anne. Very few people take the time to post comments so I always enjoy it when they do! I appreciate it so much! -Bruce

    And Linda, thank you as always for following and for reading faithfully! -Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, nsr123123123! Sorry to respond so late. I rarely go back and check on the older poems and so I missed your hello. Thank you for joining my small list of followers! I am trying to grow it, but it seems to be taking its own time!

    ReplyDelete

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...