Monday, March 28, 2011

HERE FOR A REASON

HERE FOR A REASON

I fancy myself a man for all seasons,
I like to believe that I’m here for a reason.
Yet sometimes I still harbor doubts
And wonder what life’s all about.

Is life a race, is life a dream, is life a competition?
My mind it overflows with myth and superstition.
Is life a song, is life fragile, is life only what we see?
Do our senses deceive until we believe in heaven and eternity?

Is there a God to take us in his arms and hold us close when we cry,
And cradle us in his bosom sweet on the day on which we die.
My hunch is there is something more waiting just outside the door,
A land of new awakenings, a great and golden shore.
No one knows what looms in the distance and we seldom stop to ponder
To ponder on what lies ahead, obscured by the wild blue yonder.

I fancy myself a man who has a way with words
Who knows his way around the flowers and the birds.
Who walks attuned with Nature and all its mystery.
A man well versed in science, a man consumed with history.
Yet the more I learn about the past, the more I seem to just repeat it,
And end up feeling lost in space, dejected and defeated.
And all the things I thought I knew lie broken on the floor,
I find that I know nothing, a simpleton who longs for more.

More meaning in the struggle, more meaning to the fray,
The endless dramas we are caught in on each and every day.
Spirits loaded down with troubles, surrendering to Fate.
Until our lives pass quickly by and knowledge comes too late.

I’d like to be known as a man for all seasons,
I wish that I knew I was here for a reason.
All I know is I’m here today, that’s all I know without a doubt,
And I haven’t yet the faintest clue of what this life’s about.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2011
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...