Saturday, November 27, 2010

BANANA BOAT

BANANA BOAT

Here in my banana boat, with all the other lunatics,
I float down my stream in a fitful dream,
Drunk on empty promises and hoping that they stick.
Having gambled with my fortune, burned my candle to the wick.

Here in my banana boat, nursing my broken pride,
A wobbly disabled replica on his final bumpy ride.
Giving up all I’ve known to unknown kings on their pompous thrones
And scared to ponder for too long what the bumpy future holds.
Here in my banana boat, I brace myself for the coming cold.

Here in my banana boat the only way out is through.
Some say it will be easy, and a move long overdue.
But am I quitting just my jobs or am I quitting life?
I take a gambler’s leap of faith into that dark night.

These are not easy seas to navigate, these wild tempestuous seas of fate.
I pray to whatever God will listen the questions that I ask,
Am I up to the storms that lie ahead, the monumental task?
Or will I float forever until I’m penniless and out of breath?
Lost without a compass on the desperate shore of death.
Or will I find the buried treasure, will I find the gold.
After it is all too late and my dreams are bought and sold.

And all that I can seem to do is play the songs that praise today.
For there’s really no tomorrow, you just take your leap of faith,
And hope the net is really there if only you believe.
I have no other magic tricks nor hocus pocus up my sleeve.

And God only knows what I’m doing here, still alive and kicking,
Hitching my wagon to a falling star and a clock that keeps on ticking.
But I’m sailing straight into the sunset on this strange banana boat,
Hoping I can wait it out and hoping I can stay afloat.
Drunk on empty promises and praying one will stick.
Having gambled with my meager fortune, burned my candle to the wick.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 2010
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...