Wednesday, July 15, 2009

IN AN AUTUMN LEAF

IN AN AUTUMN LEAF

In an autumn leaf I trace your face,
The veins that bulge-

The voice that cracks
When crunched by the weight of emotion

In an autumn leaf,
I fire the shots of cool reproach that blind you
And in a paper hand of tree
I look and then I find you.

Your chains on me, rattle in my apple cider,
Leaving me drunk
And soiled with the rains of what was right and wrong.

Your chains on me, bind like screams in a child’s bad dream,
And the Jack O’lantern face, vivid and evil
Explodes on the porch in undiluted madness.

The winter is coming, trees undressing for bed.
Jack Frost sends a stagnant, chilly breath.
I look in an autumn leaf-
I think of you, and feel the kiss of death.

-Bruce Potts
Copyright 1983
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...