Sunday, March 8, 2009

HEART SET SAIL

HEART SET SAIL

Glimmering was the ocean,
Sparkling ever blue.

I was on the cusp of giving up,
I had hid my heart from view.

But sometimes all it seems to take
Is a warm and welcome wind
To buffet you into the arms
Of a soulmate and a friend.

Where once my feet were anchored fast
To the lonely sand and shale,
The mermaids called my name at last,
The seabirds bid my heart set sail.

And vast horizons opened forth
And all the ships caressed the bay.

My fear of drowning all dissolved
Into the beauty of the day.

And off I sailed to isles of pleasure,
Swirling in your sacred smile,
A pirate counting up his treasures,
Heartstrings cast upon the miles.

The years fly by like seabirds soaring
High up in the stratosphere,
The aging compass in my soul still points to you,
My captain dear.

And memory points me to the day
That you became my welcome wind
And saved me from the shipwreck
And helped me live again.

The day you hummed your siren song
And freed my feet from the sand and shale,

The day you offered me your hand
And bid my heart set sail.

-BRUCE POTTS
COPYRIGHT 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...