Thursday, March 5, 2009

DREAMSLAYER

DREAMSLAYER

So benign you were at first, pretending you were a crossing guard,

Slowing me down at the intersections,
the roaring din of careless drivers,
the horrid pace of modern life.

But you were yet a monster sleeping in my dark substantia nigra,
soon to waken in your fury and turn me old before my time.

So charming in your subtlety, yet vicious in your bile,
you froze me in the supermarket, you crippled overnight.

You left me trapped inside my body,
once a temple standing tall.

Now I’m hunched and forward leaning, now I creep and barely move.

With shattered sleep, I sweat profusely, battling with
your demons new.


So benign you were at first, pretending you were on my side,

Until you set your fury loose and I could not stem the tide.

You sent your armies of destruction to confiscate my dopamine.

My pleasure chemicals are gone, their fortress overtaken.

I’m vanquished by the onslaught, and stand before you shaking.


And so the flag-draped coffin of all I hoped to be
was carried off into the dusk before I knew what hit me.

By some high and mighty dreamslayer and his unforgiving sword.
My nemesis, my enemy, who has the final word.

-BRUCE POTTS
COPYRIGHT 2008
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...