Wednesday, October 29, 2014

THE WINTER IS COMING

THE WINTER IS COMING

All I know is what I know.
Life is precarious,
Love is precious,
And the summer only lasts so long.

So buy yourself a fleece-lined coat.
The winter is coming,
Sailing the icebergs in his private sailboat.

Heading your way,
Despite what you might do or say.

The trees are wearing robes of green,
But soon as in a burlesque show,
They will strip naked, 
Shameless on our front lawns.

The winter chill is coming,
The warmth will soon be gone.

The gold of autumn will blaze and burn quickly.
Those clear blue breathless skies,
Will yield to snow and brittle ice, 
That cover up the sunrise.

Bring your snow shovel out of hiding,
Steel yourself for what's to come.
Time beats a solemn death march,
And the winter is its holy drum.

All I know is what I know,
I lost my parents in the winter.
Both gone in the deep freeze
Of a bitter December.

And a bit of winter stays with me,
No matter where I go.
Sometimes my heart's a Frigidaire,
Winter frost upon my soul.

-Bruce Potts
Revised Copyright 2014
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...