Thursday, September 18, 2014

IN THE DAYS BEFORE THE FALL

IN THE DAYS BEFORE THE FALL

I am the navigator, 
The airplane does just what I say.
I am the captain, 
The ship it rides upon the foamy waves,
Leading to my destination, 
No hiccups and no hesitation.
I am the king, 
The leader of them all,
Mankind in all its innocence,
In the days before the fall.

I am the leader of my squadron, 
I lead my men beneath enemy fire,
Into the perils of an Iraqi desert, 
Sand that blows for miles and miles.
I am the one who weeps inside,
For the brave ones who have gladly died
And paid the price of freedom,
For all of humankind,
Their place secure in history,
And within this heart of mine.

I am the battalion chief 
Of firemen strong and valiant,
Who fight the flames that hover close, 
Whose souls are fierce and gallant.
I am the rescue crew, 
Who searches for the dead among the rubble,
Breaking the news to their anxious kin,
Talking to the press with the flourish of spin.
My sleep is often torn and troubled.

I am the God who watches,
Alone in my omnipotence,
And yet I have my plan and yet I have my reasons.
For I did form the earth and seas,
Startling in their brilliance,
I laid the corners of the globe 
And created all the seasons.

I am the navigator,
I am not asleep at the controls.
I am one who trolls the oceans, 
Fishing with my net for souls.
I am, alas, the sovereign king, 
The leader of you all,
You who once stood innocent,
In the days before the fall.

-Bruce Potts
Revised Copyright 2014
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  

No comments:

Post a Comment

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT

SERENADE OF TWILIGHT The stars in your eyes, love, I tried them on for size. They shone as bright as diamonds, how they mesmerized. And when...